Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Girl's Best Friend

What would that be?

The Crock Pot. Now, it's a tossup between whether this or my lovely KA mixer is my best friend, but today's decision is the crock pot. There are some days where life just gets in the way of being able to cook for 45 or even 15 minutes. The solution? Toss stuff in the crock pot, press some buttons, and dinner's done. There's a reason why it's called "fix it and forget it"!

I have a whole Word document full of crock pot recipes which I skimmed through last weekend while planning my menu for the week. I needed a beef recipe and came across this one. Honestly, it was a little bland... I need to go find the recipe for the fabulous chili my husband made while we were camping a couple months ago and figure out what spices I can add to this. I'll make it again, but with a twist!





Chili Pasta Bake (8 points)
Source Unknown
Makes 7 (1 cup) servings

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef (I used 1 lb.)
1 cup chopped onion
2 (14 oz.) cans tomatoes with juice, mashed (I used 2 cans of diced tomatoes, no salt added)
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. dried whole oregano
7.5 oz. tomato juice
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1 1/4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1 cup grated Monterey Jack (or med. Cheddar) cheese

DIRECTIONS

-Scramble-fry ground beef in nonstick frying pan until browned.
-Drain well.
-Transfer to 3 1/2 qt. slow cooker.
-Add next 8 ingredients.
-Stir well.
-Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hrs. or on HIGH for 2 1/2-3 1/2 hrs.
-Sprinkle cheese over top. Cook on HIGH for 10-15 min. until cheese is melted.

NUTRITION INFO
Based on Modifications

Calories 253.3
Total Fat 9.9 g
Cholesterol 54.1 mg
Sodium 555.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
Fiber 1.9 g
Protein 21.2 g

No comments: